Thursday, September 14, 2017

Incipient invisibility

Did you know that I have an invisibility cloak?

I don't know where it came from, and I haven't figured out how to control it. I'm never sure when it's actually working, so I haven't gotten too bold with it yet, but I'm getting bolder every day.

It arrived somewhere between my 40th and 50th years, around the same time my hair started to go gray. In that time I've also gotten more tired and gained a few pounds. Happens to everyone, right?

Well, it turns out that the same people who used to make unsolicited comments to me in my younger, thinner years now can't see me at all. I've gone from uncomfortably noticed to uncomfortably overlooked, and I'm not sure which is worse. A trip to Home Depot is an exercise in futility now that I have to practically throw myself at a salesperson (if I can find one) to have a question answered.

It continues at work. Where my job used to put me in the middle of things, now I am occasionally notified when things happen that affect my work, but more often I hear things through the grapevine. I am not consulted about areas of my expertise, and my boss has no idea what I do all day. Nor does he want to know. I am baffled by this.

I feel like I should take advantage of this and just take off for the afternoon to see if anyone notices. Or shoplift, just to see what would happen. I might even be able to pull off a bank robbery.

With my luck, that would be the only time my cloak would fail me.

No comments: