Monday, October 02, 2006

Life under the microscope

"What did you say to that driver, Mom?"

"What are you eating?"

"What are you doing on the computer?"

"Why did you do/say/eat/read that, Mom?"

Are these familiar to you? If so, then you are living under the microscope. You think employers are watching you, try living with a couple of young kids. They watch your every move and ask questions about every single thing they don't understand, which is quite a bit at first. As they get older and find out they already have all the answers, they ask less and lecture more, complete with rolled eyes.

You can't mutter something under your breath, because they have bat-like hearing. Unless you're actually talking to them, in which case they are stone deaf. I hear it's worse when they become teenagers. I can't imagine.

Sometimes it makes you really think about why you did/said/ate/read something, but most of the time it's just annoying, because the questions don't stop there. Once they find out what you said, they want to know exactly what you meant, complete with dictionary definitions. "I don't know" comes out of my mouth so often now that I really don't think I know bloody anything anymore. But if I spent the time to fully answer all the questions, I would do nothing else all day. No laundry, no cooking, nothing.

Hey, maybe that's not a bad idea...

No comments: